Staff turnover has always been a worry for managers and business owners. Every business has a plan for reducing staff turnover. Staff turnover is a problem, and it is an expensive problem for businesses But what about unproductive time?
We recently talked about what % of internal collaboration actually adds value? Internal collaboration should drive innovation and agility. However, there is a large volume of unproductive time resulting from internal collaboration overload and too many ineffective or poorly organised internal meetings.
Some executives report spending an average of 70% of their time on internal collaboration, that includes emails, phone calls, meetings etc. That leaves 30% of their time to drive output for the business. Poor collaboration could be costing you 1.9 days every week.
Unnecessary internal meetings are a drain on talent. It is a ‘Brain Drain’ for staff who spend most of their time going from one internal meeting to another. It creates a cycle of loss – lost hours, ideas, energy and engagement. And leaving a meeting that was a waste of time further drains people.
We see on a daily basis examples of organisations, business units and teams that are not fully maximising the talents, skills and abilities of their people. This is so common that many of our clients are at a point where they are willing to accept that this is the way things are.
Yet we see that using the Growth Pit Stop methodology allows people in teams to engage in a process known as ‘cognitive reframing’ that allows them to begin challenging that idea at both a personal and team level. It also has a way of analysing the potential savings to be realised by cutting unnecessary internal meetings and other forms of collaboration waste.
Return on collaboration is a measurement of how different means of internal collaboration and teamwork impact business performance and innovation, as well as employee engagement and well-being. It looks at both the positive and negative outcomes for the individuals, the team and the business.
Effective collaboration is not natural, but it comes from design. It requires the right people in the right roles doing the right work. It is not just about running more effective meetings or improved time management. It will likely require a shift in mindset and behaviour. The real challenge is creating an environment where people are rewarded for individual work and contribution to their teams.