This Winter has been particularly harsh. The bitter cold winds & long dark nights can play havoc with our bodies & minds. During this time we want to ensure we balance our internal environment with whatever the external environment throws at us! For late Winter, it is recommended that you allow extra TLC for body, mind & spirit.
1. Exercise & Movement – Movement is vital to help release emotions out of the body (the word emotion means ‘e-motive’, energy in motion) It also produces endorphins which are your body’s natural internal morphine. It helps reduce pain, release trapped emotions and release tension and stress both physically and emotionally.
2. Food & Nutrition – eat wholesome, real food, reduce processed chemically artificial packaged products. Reduce stimulants such as sugar, coffee and alcohol as they increase nervous tension and anxiety.
3. Breathing -Take 5 deep belly breaths regularly throughout the day. Set triggers to remind yourself. E.g. Take 5 deep breaths before starting your car, before opening your laptop, while waiting for the kettle to boil, while waiting at traffic lights etc. This is a powerful way to reduce stress and anxiety.
4. Meditation, mindfulness, prayer, gratitude – All of these are powerful tools to help gain more clarity, focus and calmness in your life.
5. Fresh Air – Nature – Natural healing therapy take place when you spend time in the outdoors. Make time to get fresh air every day. Get out of the office and walk around the block on your lunch break. Oxygenate the cells, and this will help re-energise both mind and body.
6. Writing / Journaling – A great way to release nervous tension, anxiety or stress. Put pen to paper and allow the busy mind and mental overloaded thoughts to be released through the act of writing. Burn it or tear it up afterwards if you wish. It acts as a brain dump for your mental thoughts.
7. Open communication – talk it out, cry it out – release the emotion through communicating with a trusted person or a trained professional.
8. Sleep – Apply the 3,2,1 rule. Have your last meal 3 hrs before bedtime. Avoid anything taxing 2 hrs before bedtime. Unplug from all technology 1 hr before bedtime. Try a cup of camomile tea at night.
9. Self – care routines – Spirituality. Spend a few minutes daily in stillness, silence or nature and simply breathe and be. Unplug from the busyness of the world. Refrain from the urgency “to do” and try “Just be”. The presence of connecting with self and others on a real human level, heart to heart is where real healing and happiness occurs.
10. Rest, Recovery and reflection
11. Get organised – create your CODE, your Calendar Of Daily Events. These are your nonnegotiables. Create morning routines or nigh time rituals that are specific to you to help you be at your best.
12. Ask for help – Allow yourself to be real and human and vulnerable. A problem shared is a problem halved.
If you are looking for more tips for late winter head here.